Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

A new (to me) dining set

I have been wanting to get a new dining room set for a while.  Our Ikea set has proved very useful and dependable for 10 years, but children, spilled food, and time have not been good to the chairs.  They have become delicate and I'm afraid that one of these days we're going to have someone over for dinner and they'll end up on the floor.  (Not the best thing to happen when you're trying to be a good hostess!!!)  Plus, my style has changed quite a bit.  I really wanted a Danish modern table and chairs to replace our current dining set.  I love the sleek lines and solid construction of Danish modern design (insert dreamy sigh here) but price or timing has always been an issue.  But this weekend I found it!!!  There they were, just sitting there in the corner of the thrift store, covered in some (ahem) interesting maroon, off-white and taupe flowered fabric.  
This is what the chairs looked like at the thrift shop.
Nice, huh? 
And then, I lifted off the chair covers, and saw this!!!!  (I would have sworn that I heard angels sing.)

Jared doesn't have the same love of furniture as I do, but it was such a deal at $151 for the table and 6 chairs, that we couldn't pass it up!!!!  When we got them home...
The first thing I did was remove the seats.  There were only 4 screws holding each seat in place.
Then, I removed the staples holding on the flowered fabric using a flat-headed screwdriver and pliers.  It's last owner just covered over the original fabric.

I was thinking that I'd cover over the seats with vinyl so that all of the messy kid stuff could be wiped off easily, but I really like the original fabric.  :)
A little dingy, but nothing a good cleaning couldn't fix!
My sweet husband shampooed the seat cushions for me.  I scrubbed down the table and chairs with a bit of Murphy's Oil Soap while I waited for the cushions to dry.
Ta da!  Good as new (old)!
And along with the table, it all looks pretty fabulous if I do say so myself!!!!
Finding this table, and seeing it in place, makes me want to make a lot of changes in the house.  I have all of these great projects in mind for making my house feel a bit more homey.  And I just can't wait to get started....after I finish the laundry that piled up this weekend while I was prettying up my table!  :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love it Amy. It looks so grown up. No wonder you were so excited.

    ReplyDelete